Key Dates in Drayton Parslow’s History

Centuries  
11th 1086 Domesday Book. Radulf Passaqua held land in “Draintone”
13th 1232 William of Gaddesden presented as first Rector
14th 1302 First record of Passelewe linked with Drayton in the name of the village
  1337 Black Death. Nicholas Passelewe (Sheriff of Buckinghamshire) died with all his tenants save one man in Mursley.
14th-15th   Present church building under construction
16th 1563 Queen Elizabeth granted the manors of Drayton Parslow, Mursley and Salden to her cousin and Chancellor, Sir John Fortescue, for a consideration of £423.2s.4d
    Sir John built a substantial mansion at Salden
17th 1603 James 1 and his family entertained at Salden
  1620s Richard Chandler started a bell foundry
18th 1730s Salden House demolished
  1751 Thomas Whorwood, descended from Sir John Fortescue, buried in the chancel at Drayton
  1750s John Lord, Rector, built a new rectory and opened a home for those of “troubled or unsound mind”
19th 1820s Robert, Lord Carrington, became Lord of the Manor
  1840s Baptist Chapel built
  1840s Methodist Chapel built – the building now known as Carrington Hall.
  1860s Spurrell and his widow extended and improved the church
  1878 Board School opened
20th 1912 A new, larger Primitive Methodist Chapel opened in Main Road.
  1940s Land at Prospect Farm commandeered as part of the Bletchley Park ‘Enigma’ operations.
  1968-71 Threat of Third London Airport
  1977-78 Drayton School was extended into what had been the Teacher’s House (self-help scheme).
  1979-80 Sports clubhouse built next to the cricket field (largely self-help)
  1979-80 Second threat of Third London Airport
21st 2000 Church restoration began. The exterior Totternhoe Clunch (a soft and crumbling stone) was replaced by a much more durable hard Bath stone.
  2002 Greenacre Hall (new village hall) opened. It was named after Charlie Greenacre, an old Drayton resident who had donated a substantial sum to the village.
  2004 Part of Drayton was designated a conservation area.